St Patrick's is a Roman Catholic co-educational primary school serving a wide catchment area which includes Allanton, Hartwood and Shotts. Our history dates back to 4 January 1869. The present school building was constructed in 1909/1910 by the parish to replace a smaller school which had been in use since 1869. The school was accommodated in the lower level of a new building with the upper building being used as a church hall. The school was taken over by the local authority and the upper level was partitioned to provide more classrooms.